When it comes to guarding your financial safety online, in person or on the phone, knowledge is your best defence. Here, you can learn about the common threats to your financial security, discover what we’re doing to keep you safe and find out where to get help if you need it.
What you can do to keep safe
Choose secure passwords/passphrases
A secure password helps keep you safe online. It also helps us identify you when you log in as part of our multi-factor authentication process. The key to your password being secure is its strength and memorability.
- Never use your PIN, name in any form (first, middle, last, maiden or nickname) and / or date of birth as your password.
- Putting together a few words or phrases makes a longer password that can be easier to remember.
- Use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters. Using less common special characters will help strengthen your password.
- Change your password regularly. There’s no set rule on this, but the more frequent the better.
- Always use different passwords on key accounts that hold financial or personal information. This way, even if one password is compromised, your other accounts will remain protected.
Protect your computer
Many of us see these vital tasks as being a bit of a pain. Yet they're essential to keeping us safe online. Here's how.
- Keep your devices updated with the latest security patches and system software to guard against evolving threats. You can find out more from Microsoft† and Apple†.
- Keep your antivirus software updated to reduce the risk of malicious software and viruses being installed on your computer.
- Your home router is your online front door allowing your devices to connect to the internet, so it's really important that you ensure it remains secure. One of the key ways to protect your router is to change the default admin password as the one set by the manufacturer can easily be discovered by attackers.
What we’re doing to protect you
We use proven, industry-recognised security tools and processes to keep your account and personal information secure.